Pardon our dust. You may have noticed things look a little different around here. We spent the weekend rolling out a new design for Londontopia. This is a major change for Londontopia, as it’s been almost six years since we last did a redesign.
It was time for a change. The platform we use for this website, WordPress, has evolved significantly in the last few years, and our current theme/design was left behind, so we were becoming limited in what we could do. And frankly, the design looked dated compared to other websites these days.
I also have a vision for the future of this site that requires a new framework to build upon so we can expand the types of content we offer. So, this is the first step. The homepage and single posts are radically different in design but should still feel like Londontopia. We’re using the same fonts and colors. Our logo is the same (for now). Things should overall look a little brighter and crisper.
If you’re browsing the site and come across something that doesn’t look quite right, please contact us to let us know. Our article archive has thousands of articles in it, so something is bound to be broken somewhere, but it’s impossible to check them all ourselves. We’ve also made some upgrades and improvements behind the scenes, but those should not be noticeable to visitors. But overall, hopefully, the site runs faster and smoother when you visit.
A few new features worth noting:
- There’s now a trending ticket in the header menu – this shows the most popular articles in the last seven days.
- We’re now showing the current exchange rates for the US dollar compared to the Pound (and other currencies). This appears on the homepage and in the sidebar on articles.
- We’re showing the current weather conditions in London in the header menu, and on the homepage, you can see the current 5-day forecast for London. We’re working on more weather ideas for the future (like seeing historical weather for trip planning).
- Main category pages have a new design, and it should be easier to navigate to sub-categories.
- In the sidebar is a Popular tab, this shows the most popular articles of all time
- Larger content font for easier reading
- New mobile responsive theme optimize for mobile phone reading (this is how most people visit the website these days).
- Some pages will have a ‘return to top’ red arrow button in the lower right hand corner so you can get back to the top easily.
We hope you like the new design, and enjoy reading it. We’ll be announcing new features and functions in the coming months. Stay tuned!