Summer in London is one of the best times of year. From carnivals and festivals to boat rides along the Thames and drinks down your local, the Capital really comes alive when the sun’s out. However, the buzz of summer also brings the criminals out.
With more people leaving the confines of their home to sample London’s outdoor life, thieves know that there are unsecured homes aplenty across the city.
Of course, predicting an incident is tougher than preventing it, but thanks to Verisure you can get a better insight into the MO of a criminal.
Recording data and testimonies from 516 home break-ins, Smart Alarm and security specialists Verisure was able to breakdown a burglar’s common traits.
From the amount of time it takes to break-in and to the common items taken by thieves, Verisure has compiled a handy dossier which should be seen as essential reading for any Londoner thinking of heading outside to an event this summer.
Verisure’s Top Five Break-In Stats
- 49% of Victims are Out of the House for a Short Period of Time: Prior to the 2012 London Olympics, The London Pub Crawl Company estimated that there were around 7,000 in London. With a population of around eight million, that means there’s one pub per 1,142 residents. Basically, the bottom-line is that there are plenty of pubs in the Capital and, with an average session lasting an hour, plenty of people could become one of the 49% who experience a flash burglary.
- 15% of Burglaries Occur in Less than 5 Minutes: Perhaps even more disturbing is the fact that almost 1/5th of these so-called flash burglaries can take place in the same time it takes for your next London Underground train to arrive.
- 10% of Burglars Are Known to the Victim: London’s a big place with a lot of people living in it (around eight million), but in 10% of break-in cases you’ll find that the victim knew the attacker. Because the criminal can track an acquaintance’s movements, they know the best time to strike.
- 70% of Burglaries Involve the Theft of High Value Items: Nearly two-thirds of all home robberies involve high value items. From TVs and laptops to iPads and your car, thieves will steal anything if you don’t secure your property before you leave it.
- 33% of Thieves Found Hidden Valuables: In most cases it doesn’t matter where you hide your valuables because the criminals will find them. In 33% of incidents, thieves find valuable property in draws, cupboards and under the bed. If you’re home isn’t secure from the outside then it isn’t secure on the inside.
Get Smart about Security in the City
Using the Verisure “Insights into Home Burglaries” infographic is a great way to tap into the mind of a criminal this summer, but if you don’t have the hardware to back up the software then you’re still vulnerable.
The average price of a house in London is now £556,350, but the price of protecting it is a fraction of that cost. The Verisure Smart Alarm System offers real-time protection options that are designed to tackle the all five of the common break-in stats listed above.
Combining shock detectors, image collection devices and high-powered sirens with a smart control panel, the Verisure system is perfectly pitched to protect your property when you leave it.
Summer in The City is fantastic, but only if you don’t leave your home in the shadows and vulnerable to thieves.