I’m a huge fan of LEGO – I received the Lego Tower Bridge as a gift a few years ago and loved putting it together. Now we Londonphiles have a new set to put together – a new model of Elizabeth Tower (aka Big Ben) along with part of the Palace of Westminster.
Here are the details
Get up close to Big Ben! The clock was first started on May 31st 1859, and Big Ben’s first chime rang from the 96-meter Elizabeth Tower on July 11th of the same year. This over 23” (60cm) high LEGO® interpretation of the iconic structure is a tribute to its engineering and architecture. It features a detailed facade with statues, shields and windows, and a clock tower with 4 adjustable clock dials and a removable roof allowing access to the belfry, plus buildable exterior elements including a sidewalk, lawn and a tree depicting the building’s location. This model makes a great display piece for the home or office.
• Big Ben features a detailed section of the Westminster Palace and the adjoining Elizabeth Tower, 4 detailed clock dials with movable hour and minutes hands, and a sidewalk, tree and grass area depicting the building’s location.
• Remove the top of the tower to access the Big Ben bell.
• Put your LEGO® building skills to the test!
• Special elements include 4 printed clock faces.
• Rare elements include ski poles, flowers and corner plates in molded gold color, and tinted-translucent elements.
• This set includes over 4,000 LEGO® pieces.
• This set offers an age-appropriate building experience for ages 16+.
• Big Ben measures over 23” (60cm) high, 17” (44cm) wide and 7” (20cm) deep.
This looks like a lot of fun and it will probably be just as challenging as the Tower Bridge set (it took me three months to put together in my spare time).
It’s a shame they haven’t included the whole of the Palace of Westminster (aka the Houses of Parliament) but that set would at least be something like 20,000 LEGOs. I’m sure someone will buy five of these sets and try to build an approximation.
The set retails for US $249.99 – CA $299.99 – DE 219.99€ – UK £169.99 – DK 1999.00 DKK and it will be available worldwide from July 1st, 2016.
Here are some pictures: